In Collaboration with The Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture
King Khalid University Rector, His Excellency Prof. Falleh Al-Solamy, hosted a sustainable agriculture forum in cooperation with the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture. The focus of the forum, organized the Institute for Research Consultancy Studies, was rehabilitating farmland in the southern region and sustainable water resources for agricultural purposes.
Dean Al-Hadithi: The farm rehabilitation effort relies primarily on rainwater harvesting to improve and conserve agricultural lands adversely impacted by groundwater depletion and past unsustainable development.
Dean of the Institute for Research and Consultative Studies, Dr. Abdul Latif Al-Hadithi, is the lead university consultant on agricultural rehabilitation and sustainability. In his opening remarks, Dean Al-Hadithi described the partnership between King Khalid University and the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture. He explained that the university is using its resources and scientific prowess to help improve agriculture in the region under the guidance of the Ministry. 'The farm rehabilitation effort relies primarily on rainwater harvesting to improve and conserve agricultural lands adversely impacted by groundwater depletion and past unsustainable development', he said. The Dean also noted that the purpose of the forum was to bring all stakeholders together and review the theoretical and practical aspects of the project. This will preserve and allow the historically agricultural region to flourish in perpetuity. He also thanked His Royal Highness, the Governor of the Asir region and His Excellency Rector Al-Solamy for their patronage and support of this important program.
The forum also included a number of other presentations as follows:
- Dr. Ibrahim Aref, Rehabilitating Agricultural Land in the Southern Region;
- Dr. Abdullah Said Kadman, Cooperative Societies;
- Dr. Saad Al-Zahrani, Small Agriculture Enterprises;
- Dr. Adel Abdul Hamid, Agricultural Development and Food Source Security;
- Engineer Mohammad Haidari, Sustainable Agricultural Rural Development Objectives;
- Dr. Sami Mohammed Abdullah, Community Participation and Agricultural Development;
- Mubarak Saeed Al-Shahrani, Cultivation of Medicinal Plants and Vision 2030;
- Prof Mohamed Mari Al-Qahtani, Traditional Agriculture: A Perspective of a National Project with 2030 Aspirations.