Within the third gathering of the Sports Federation of Saudi Universities, King Khalid University edged out competitors in the national university cross-country competition which was organized yesterday by the Sports Federation under the patronage of His Excellency the Minister of Education who is also the Chairman of the Federation, Dr. Ahmed Al-Issa. Bisha University hosted the event in the presence of His Excellency the Rector of Bisha University, Dr. Ahmed Naqadi, His Excellency the Governor of Bisha, Mohamed bin Saeed bin Sabra, the President of the Federation, Dr. Abdullah Al-Buqami, the Secretary-General of the Federation, Dr. Salah Al-Saqqa, and Dean of Student Affairs at the University of Bisha, Dr. Mohammed Al-Ajim.
Jazan University was runner-up in the 5.8 km race in which 150 runners participated representing 25 universities and governmental and private colleges. King Abdulaziz University came in third place while the Islamic University team came in the fourth place, followed by King Saud University in fifth place. The team of Umm Al-Qura University positioned into sixth place, and Al-Baha University came in the seventh place while the Taif University team achieved eighth place.
In the individual competitions, results were as follows:
- Runner Faisal Ethorchoy from the Islamic University won first place with 02:48:27 minutes.
- In second place was the representative of King Khalid University, Aqeel Al-Ameri, with 00:59:29 minutes.
- In third place was the runner from King Abdul Aziz University, Mohammed Medhaji, with 30:13:00 minutes.
- In fourth place was Issam Abdul Hamid with 30:24:00 minutes.
- Fifth place was achieved by the runner from Taif University, Yusuf Asiri, with 30:55:00 minutes.
- Fahid Al Harthy from King Khalid University came in sixth place with 30:59:00 min.
- In seventh place was the runner of the University of Hail, Abdul-Mohsen Al-Malaq, with 31:06:00 minutes.
- The runner from Taif University, Thamer Al-Mutairi came in the eighth place with 30:13:00 minutes.
- In ninth place was the runner from Tabuk University, Ahmed Magrashi, with 31:23:00 minutes.
- In tenth place was the runner from Jazan University, Bandar Hassan, with 31:24:00 minutes.
The Rector of the University of Bisha, in addition to the President of the Federation of Sports Universities, the Secretary-General of the Federation, and the Media Advisor to the Sports Federation and Media Committee Chairman, Dr. Turki Al-Ayyar, crowned the first place winners in the collective and individual competitions.
In his speech, the President of the Sports Federation for Saudi Universities, Dr. Abdullah Al-Buqmi, thanked the Rector of the University of Bisha for the great success achieved by the championship in terms of technical and organizational areas. He further praised the significant efforts made by the University Administration to equip the venue, the crowning ceremony, and the overall preparedness of post-competitions celebrations. Finally, Dr. Al-Buqmi congratulated the winners and their universities and wished success to all competitors in their future athletic endeavors.